Monday, June 29, 2009

Pursued

We have a new addition to the family. A 7 month old Robo Dwarf hamster named Rhino. Rhino joined our family yesterday and was given to my daughter from a friend at church who is moving away within the next couple of months. Now the fun part. Yesterday-Rhino's first night with us, after a day of serving at church, then going for a late lunch and catching the movie 'Up", we came home to finish up some home repairs, clean and then rest. It is 10:15 pm and I hear my husband say "Oh no- you lost him!" I am in the bedroom watching TV and I immediately go to my daughter's bedroom door. She is looking distraught and her room looks as though her closet has vomited clothes everywhere. I asked her what happened. She goes on to explain that as she was holding her new pet, he jumped out of her hand and now she can't find him. I think- oh no- not a rodent loose in my house! I also think- oh no- a rodent loose in my house- our 3 year old cat Bella is going to have a snack! I immediately ask, "Where's Bella?" My daughter then proceed to tell me that she has locked Bella in the downstairs bathroom in order to prevent my last "oh no!" We then begin the daunting task of trying to find a 3 ounce brown and white hamster who has lightning speed -somewhere in my daughter's room. She mentioned that she saw him dart behind the Winnie the Pooh recliner - a cute little thing I purchased for her when she was 2 years old. However, when she lifted up the recliner, she didn't see him. Now this recliner is about 10 years old. I hadn't wanted to get rid of it due to sentimental reasons- yea right. I lifted it again, and of course- no sign of Rhino. We then painstakingly and systematically check every corner of her bedroom and closet. No Rhino. The thought then occurs to me- Bella. Let's use Bella to sniff out the rat- oh I mean- hamster. I go downstairs- release Bella from her dungeon and proceed to take her upstairs to my daughter's room. By this time, my husband has constructed a barricade in front of my daughter's door- primarily her shoes. I thought- good idea- so I added a few books to it to make sure the little darling doesn't get out and have the rest of my house to explore. Now back to Bella- now before you Peta people get all upset- the plan was to bring Bella in, let her help us in locating the hamster and interceding before dismemberment and feasting- in other words- before she ate the hamster. I would like to say Bella did a great job. I can't! Bella sniffed the cage, sniffed the table, sniffed the closet, sniffed the recliner- lingered there a little while- looks up at me as if to say- you're on you own and then carefully steps across the magnificently constructed barricade of shoes and goes back downstairs. Some help she turned out to be! I then decided to get online and do research about the hamster. I found out that they can be escape artist-no joke- and enjoy hiding out in furniture. Equipped with this new knowledge, I advised my daughter to turn out the light- by the way these little joys are also nocturnal- and listen for noise. I did notice that Bella spent some time sniffing around the Winnie the Pooh recliner so suggested my daughter sit near it and listen intently. She did so for about 10 minutes and then informed me that she thought she heard something. So- my husband and I both joined her on the floor, in the dark surrounding this recliner listening for our sweet little Rhino. After about 10 minutes, we all agreed that we could faintly hear some scratching noises coming from inside the recliner. I thought- God please let this animal be here. I really don't want to try to even sleep until we find this thing! We gently put the recliner on it's right side and began to cut the through the outer fabric covering. I had mixed emotions-one- maybe we will find him yea!- two-oh no I am destroying a cute little recliner that has been part of my child's early years- sniff. The first emotion won out! After cutting away portions of fabric, new little areas of the recliner were exposed. During the research online, I read that these little hamsters can some time get stuck in furniture and may not be able to escape. As I continued to cut away fabric, my daughter exclaimed excitedly- there he is- I see him! We couldn't get to him due to the amount of fabric and stuffing in the way. We gently turned the recliner on the other side and began to cut more fabric away. My husband said "Hey- I just saw him peek his head out of that little hole there!" I became even more determined and cut more fabric from that area. Suddenly out came- Rhino! I grabbed his cage and put it near the recliner. My daughter grabbed one of his little clear hamster hangouts from the cage. As she went to scoop him up in her hand, he jumped off the recliner and started for the door! Thank God for my husband's engineering- the "Great wall of Nike" prevented another escape. My daughter then covered him with the little hamster hangout and carefully scooped him up and put him in the cage. It was 12:30 am! As I melted on top my bed-exhausted and excited from finding him, I clearly heard this word. Pursued. I then thought of how we vehemently wanted to find this creature and how willing I was to destroy a piece of furniture-the recliner- to do so. It's kinda like the way we are pursued by God. He was willing to sacrifice His only Son in order for us to enjoy the gift of eternal life. He pursues us with a love that is so intense and magnificent. Even when we are doing things that could bring us not only spiritual but physical death-He pursues us. Before coming to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ- many are bound by drugs, abuse and lifestyles that can do great harm to the body. Rhino had no clue that his little act of defiance could have cost him his life-he could have been consumed by Bella. Are we doing things that could be keeping us from fully enjoying the life God has planned for us. Is it time for many of us to heed God's call on our life? He is pursuing us to give us life and a divine plan. Are you ready to surrender? Remember- you were created for a purpose.

1 comment: